Never be afraid to increase your muscle mass even if you’re a female. Increasing your muscle mass and bone mass has tons of health benefits.
1. The more muscle and bones you have, the greater the acid buffering power you have, you now have more protein, potassium, magnesium and calcium to buffer the acidity in your body.
2. According to many studies, the greater your muscle mass the greater the longevity potential. It is, in fact, the number one bio-marker of longevity. It is a far better predictor of longevity than total cholesterol or blood pressure.
3. The more muscle you have, the more insulin receptor sites you have, and the more sensitive they will be. Increased muscle prevents diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Translation: the more muscle you have, the easier it is to have low body fat.
4. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. It is estimated that for every pound of muscle you gain you burn an extra 50 calories a day.
5. The more muscle you have, the more strength you have. the number two predictor of longevity. For women, strength is empowering.
6. In my 20 years of experience as strength and conditioning coach, for every kilo of lean tissue gained, there was an equal loss of weight in body fat. In other words, the body composition changed dramatically. For example, a female executive with a 60 kg body weight with 20 % body fat has 12 kg of fat. If, in 10 weeks, she gains 4 kg of muscle mass and loses 4 kg of fat, her body fat will now be 13%. With these body composition changes, not only will she feel more empowered, but her body will look fantastic.
Image Courtesy: Girls Gone Strong